Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Le Monde Cafe

Scores:
Coffee: 17/20
Whole experience (cafe + coffee): 32/40

Monday: Any café nerd, in Sydney, typically has four destinations in mind when it comes to the foundation of the present coffee scene: Mecca, Campos, Toby’s and Le Monde. Each of these cafes have had a significant effect on many of Sydney’s best baristas today and each can claim to have started waves of cool new cafes and bars.

Having scored a week off work and in need catch up with my mother-unit I thought it was time to come review Le Monde (best food coffee shop as reviewed by SMH). Found nearer to Central then Surry on Foveaux (although still a Surry café) Le Monde was a revelation to the Sydney scene a couple of years ago, and continues to shine today as one of the finest coffee locations.

Even on a Monday at 10am Le Monde is pumping although not unpleasantly so (it can get squishy on a weekend). I’m a fan of watching action in cafes, so I grabbed a seat close to the baristas/ till and let the morning flow over me. I ordered a flat white and omelette, my mother, another non-coffee type, went tea and potato pancakes.

The coffee came out reasonably quickly and unsurprisingly, given it is Le Monde, looked fantastic - well proportioned with a nice bit of art, easily the rival of any of the other greats.

The smell of the coffee was a fantastic sweet smell, which hinted at a fruity taste. It’s clear that this was a single origin at play as it was not an overly complex drink. However, nor was it simple but rather more of a delicate thing.

It was at this point I put down my coffee, so not to look crazy / obsessed and scope out the place. The crowd at Le Monde is what you would expect from a popular inner city coffee house. A real mix of those employed, those going to college, coffee tourists to Surry – such as myself and surprisingly tourists (must be in a guide book?).

Going back to the coffee I found the drink, to be far sweeter then I would have expected, it’s really coming from a sugarcane base. Also when embarrassingly slurping the flat white there was a distinct honey and raspberry and/or blackberry flavour (I can never pick a berry taste!).

Leaving it sit allowed the drink to centre around these deep sugarcane / honey flavours, which were hard not to love (side note, don’t add sugar to this drink, it’ll kill half the fun!).

I can’t leave a blog post about Le Monde without mentioning the clover and food. If you are sadistic and read most of my posts you may have picked up I’m a fan of filter coffee. Having lived overseas for a while and been starved of espresso machine, filtered coffee has grown on me. Le Monde offers an amazing thing - a clover coffee machine. Clover coffee means in essence you’re getting a filter coffee made one cup at a time. The barista can play with the flavours through controlling the temperature and brewing time (amazing). While I tend to not review filter coffee, I must mention it’s f**king spectacular! Do give it a go. Food wise, this is a great café, food is experimental, cheap and comes out fast in huge proportions. 

Overall, it’s a great café. It’s hard not to love most things about it. The atmosphere is chilled, but has a great energy. Staff are friendly and more then willing to chat shop. Coffee comes in both clover and espresso form. Food is both cheap and experimental. What can I fault? Little. Is it the best, you may ask? Well that’s depending on the day and the positioning of the moon, etc. However, I will call Le Monde an ultimate all-rounder.

Scores:
1. Coffee score
Style (look and feel): 9/10
Experience (taste and smell): 8/10
-----------
Coffee total: 17/20
-----------

2. Cafe score 
Style (what’s it feel like):  More like a cocktail bar for the coffee lover
Cool?: 7/10
Service: 8/10
-----------
Cafe: 15/20
-----------
Whole experience (coffee + cafe): 32/40





View Larger Map
Le Monde on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information. I really appropriate it . coffee machines sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I just discovered your blog and spent about half an hour rummaging through it with a pen and paper, writing down the amazing ones I haven't tried yet.

    Am incredibly happy to find someone who loves coffee as much as me although I'm a bit taken aback by your choice of coffee, and am kind of jealous I didn't think of this blog first!.

    We own a cafe on Bronte Rd called Cafe Sorelle and I'd like to invite you to review it if you're ever in the hood-if you come at lunch it's usually packed but if you come at around 11 you'll get a coffee. We use Calima coffee beans which I think are beautifully caramelised and better suited to be mixed with milk.

    Don't worry, I won't hunt you down or anything if we get a bad review!
    But I am sincerely curious to read your thoughts :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey mez, thanks! Taken back by a flat white? I'm a bogan at heart (although enjoy the cheeky macchiato) and would never betray that classic addition to coffee innovation (hah)

    Would be happy to come by your cafe when I'm next in the eastern beaches (i've not ventured there as a nerd yet).

    ReplyDelete

UA-32548682-1