Saturday, 28 July 2012

2042 cafe and deli

Scores:
Coffee: 13/20
Whole experience (cafe + coffee): 28/40

Saturday: It’s cold, wet and feels very like winter. I think I’ve said it once, but I’ll say it again, King Street gets crazy busy when it is wet and cold. Now I’ll admit I’m in a bit of a bad mood this afternoon, so really wanted to hate on a place. Luckily, for us all, I’ve been keeping a place in mind for just such an occasion - Café 2042. Well reviewed, well liked and constantly busy, Nerd 2 and I have been here on multiple occasions and each it has been shit. Perfect… I think to myself doing some sort of Doctor Evil-esk laugh.

Oh, before I go on, Café 2042 is a huge cafe deli kind of place (as the name suggests). And is well known for its inviting looks and has a good mix of tables and sitting areas.

I walk in it’s busy but am quickly seated. Shit, that’s nice. A hostess comes over quickly, with water and a menu. Shit, that’s good again. Well, I think to myself, I’m sure it was the coffee and food that let me down before. I take some time and order an egg meal thing and a latte (bruch at 2pm, why not?).

My latte comes to me quickly by a chirpy guy who asks me how my day is going. This is not helping my bad mood at all.

From first impression I must admit the coffee looks good. Nice bit of relaxed coffee art, it’s also a well proportioned drink, effort was made and a nice finishing touch - the spoon was not on my side of the glass.

Heat, something some people have asked me to comment on was good. Hot to the point where it is uncomfortable to hold a glass, but not impossibly so. Perhaps perfect? I choose to think not.

The aroma of the coffee was quite earthy and chocolaty, maybe nutty, not totally sure on that, there were also notes of the roasting process in the aroma. It’s an unusual tasting coffee for Sydney, but we all love a Caribbean like beans.

Taste wise, it was quite a sweet drink, with a medium level of acidity. In slurping on it, those earthy flavours I found in the aroma tended to be the dominant ones in taste, followed by a sweet leveller, which is noticeably chocolate like in taste. I found the flavours did tend to last longer in the middle of the mouth far more than your average coffee, yet not unpleasantly so.

Pausing as my food arrived I had a look around the place, this is certainly a destination for your Newtown meet up. Most tables were full of people meeting one another, it’s a large open and wooden space, the buzz of chatter tending to be dominant in the room, but I don’t mind.

Going back to the coffee, in letting it cool I found some more of the flavours of the drink. A nutty undercurrent was uncovered. The drink also markedly sweetens, so warning - don’t add sugar!

Overall, I wanted to come in and slam the place but I can’t. Service was good and efficient. Meals done well, tables well spaced and large floor to ceiling windows great for Newtown people watching cafe. Coffee whilst not amazing was good and made well and Sonoma breads and muesli on the menu a good addition to someone far more health conscious then I for a breakfast. So in the end I do recommend the place, just don’t get wintered spinach, maybe that was the reason I hated the place so much last time…

Scores:
1. Coffee score
Style (look and feel): 7/10
Experience (taste and smell): 6/10
-----------
Coffee total: 13/20
-----------

2. Cafe score
Style (what’s it feel like): deli meets cafe
Cool?: 7/10
Service: 8/10
-----------
Cafe: 15/20
-----------
Whole experience (coffee + cafe): 28/40


View Larger Map
2042 Cafe & Deli on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-32548682-1