Sunday, 13 January 2013

Kantine Café Bistro

Scores:
Coffee: 12/20
Whole experience (cafe + coffee): 27/40

With the New Year upon us, I’ve made an effort to bring myself up to the highly frequented, not so blogged about, at least on my behalf, Surry Hills area of Sydney. This morning I'm starting at the corner of Crown and Oxford and having a walk around this Northern end.

My first stop on my Inner East trip was to the cafe Kantine, a highly modern, white and bright café found right on the corner of Campbell and Denham streets. My initial feeling about the place, walking in, was that it’s kind of like a Noosa wine bar (faux 'Mediterranean' feel) meets the Inner East.

It's bang on 12pm so it is not overly busy, I can sit more-or-less where I want. I grab a choice window seat. A waiter comes over reasonably quickly and I order a latte. In no time he’s come back with some water.

Scoping out the patrons is quite an experience here. Being so close to Oxford Street and in such a cool area, they are a mix of young twenty somethings. I found I was not the only person looking around at others, come here and you'll get perved on from both girls and guys.

The coffee came around to me pretty quickly and I was neither overly impressed nor disappointed with the drink. There was no latte art, however it was a clean pour with that silky shiny foam that everyone loves. The proportions were a little off but forgivable.

The drink had a bit of an elegant roasted aroma to it. I enjoyed the sweet, dry fruitiness of the coffee's aroma.

Tasting it I found it to be a full flavoured and quite full bodied. However in saying full bodied I equally found it to be reasonably delicate, quite a sophisticated blend. The flavours of the blend I found were somewhat sweet and possibly on the fruit led side, my best description would be a citrus flavour without the rind.

Letting the drink sit balances the drink further - leaving it as a sweet and mild affair, it's clearly a bean designed to be had with milk and does this well.

As I was letting my coffee sit and waiter came up behind me, tapped me on my shoulder and asked me if I was ok and needed more water. To be honest it scared the shit out of me, but again this is the kind of service that you'd hope to find in most cafes (not being scared but attentive service).

Overall, the coffee is nice, the place chilled, patrons a real mix, location prime, and staff friendly and attentive. Like Bogey Hole I reviewed earlier in the year, the big let down was the lack of presentation on this occurrence. It is a worthy stop in a Surry Hills cafe crawl.

I should mention that whilst on this review I did not eat here, I have eaten here before and it was great, not to mention on that instance they did do some fun latte art (see the flat white photo to the right). This is more a FYI than an event that will change the scoring.

Scores:
1. Coffee score
Style (look and feel): 5/10
Experience (taste and smell): 7/10
-----------
Coffee total: 12/20
-----------

2. Cafe score
Style (what’s it feel like): faux Mediterranean come Australian cafe
Cool?: 7/10
Service: 8/10
-----------
Cafe: 15/20
-----------
Whole experience (coffee + cafe): 27/40


View Larger Map

Kantine Café Bistro on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-32548682-1